Wednesday, December 1, 2010

glinda.

This past weekend I was very fortunate to score a ticket to see the musical Wicked. For as long as I can remember (pretty much since middle school, in reality) I've heard my theatre/dance friends talk about the musical, sing the trademark songs and rave about the costumes. All these years later, the show is in Toronto and I now see why everyone talked so highly of the show.

First, the song "Defying Gravity" is insane. In the context of the show, seeing it live, etc. etc., it blows your socks off. As much as I adore the television showGlee's version of most songs they cover, nothing compares to seeing this live. It just made so much sense compared to everything that I heard about before.

Tonight's post is a little different in relation to the show. Like an earlier post, I admit that I'm girly and that's just who I am. Elle Woods - brains and in pink with a Harvard law degree. Everyone give Glinda, who in the story The Wizard of Oz is the "good witch"such a hard time. She starts out as the popular, snotty typical girl in Wicked but she changes. She sees things in other's ways, she may seen frilly and spacey, but in reality she's so strong and in control. She knows what she wants, wears a huge gown as day wear, helps others, falls in love and in the end made a lifetime friend.

So what?

Don't judge people by what they wear and how they look. True, stereotypes of grunge/punk kids, hipsters, preps, whatever. Let it go. At first, I thought Glinda was going to be annoying when the show started. Now, she's my alter-ego. Who doesn't want to wear the divinely feminine clothes that echo the 1940's and err on the side of imagination. She makes things happen, gives advice and although was shallow at first, she learned and grew out of it. Most of all, she made people laugh and feel good. Chandra Lee Schwartz who payed her at the show I was at was fantastic. I'm practicing my "flip-flip" of my hair.

Bottom line: if you haven't seen Wicked, stop reading this and buy a ticket.



No comments:

Post a Comment