Sunday, January 17, 2010

five.

Even though it's only January, so many people (especially students) are talking about summer jobs and getting prepared for when they are home or wherever during the warm months - and we are all quite broke right now, so it's constantly on our minds. I've been thinking a lot about the work that I've done, which is running summer camps for kids and girls to help motivate their self-esteem and positive body image. I think that this is something that is constantly being addressed in today's society, because children don't have the same role models that my generation did growing up in the 90's.

Yes, the High School Musical franchise is huge. Hannah Montana is every girl's idol today...but what are their catch lines?

Personally, I think that the Spice Girls influenced a large amount of attitudes and actions of girls in my age demographic (along with other factors that vary individually). Pause for reaction.

So who didn't play "Spice Girls" on the playground when growing up? We all had our characters, wanted their personalities, sang their songs, wore major platform shoes, and yelled about Girl Power at every chance. Some of us grew out of this obsession, and others rekindled it by attending their recent tour a few years ago - but I argue that we're so lucky that these women were around. They made us believe in ourselves and be independent/motivated to perform and totally be your own person. They make this impact today, as the personalities of friends come out at times, identifying which Spice Girl they played during grade school. They have major Girl Power.

Not going to lie, I still show mine via my hair. Then: I always played Posh/Victoria. Now: I have Victoria Beckham's hairstyle always.

No comments:

Post a Comment