Thursday, December 10, 2009

curl.

Every year, I always think, "Maybe the snow won't come...you maybe, just maybe, we'll have a California Christmas in Canada." Since the record for no snow in November was broken for the first time in 130 years, I really thought that we might just get a green Christmas this year.

Alas, this morning proved otherwise.

As I drew the curtains, snowflakes danced across the sky and glued themselves to the concrete streets below. Seriously snow? Grrr. Usually these are the days that I want to curl up on the couch, make a huge mug of tea, and forget the world - but this year, I will give in. the best thing about this time of year is getting together with people and celebrating life and the season. A little snow is pretty romantic too isn't it? Oh and as I just wrote that, the downfall has stopped. Maybe it's a sign?

I will allow snow for only one prominent event, especially for Canadians from British Columbia - the Vancouver 2010 winter Olympics. It seems like only last week that I was home and watching the unveiling of which city was getting the winter games in the Olympic bidding, and how excited my parents and fellow Canadian friends were. To be honest, I didn't understand how important this would be until actually moving to British Columbia. The world, the world, the world, will all be in one of the most beautiful places in the world, and participating in such a proud moment for Canadians. I guess I will be okay with snow then, as I am a self-confessed snowboarding fan (went through a period of my young life wanting to go into it professionally, but it was not in the cards, thank goodness for dance...) and we don't want it to be too warm like Calgary, Alberta was all those years ago. 'Tis the season, I guess I shall just embrace this, as snow and an Olympic honour like this is unique to Canada, and so many people don't get to experience something like this in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment