Sunday, December 20, 2009

home.

It's the most wonderful time of the year. The snow if falling, lights are hung, and my dear grandmother is jumping out of her skin that she has company in her small Ontario town for Christmas. It's interesting to go back to your roots. I've been coming to Goderich randomly for holidays, to see the grandparents, etc. for years, but I haven't come back since my grandfather passed away years ago. On the train, my visual picture of the house I had visited so many times seems so huge in my mind, and walking in the front door threw me for a complete loop. I couldn't remember so much of the home that I'm now sitting in, and it's fascinated by the change.

I've come from all over the place - born in Toronto, grew up in California, (then moved again in the Bay Area) then moved to Kelowna, British Columbia, and now I'm back to TO. I've had many homes, and the people that have come into my life in each place will be with me for the rest of my life, but I can't identify exactly where I would all the family home. As much as I have joked about coming to "scenic Goderich" (I'm still now pleased that I'm not in Kelowna home this year, but shall see you in February) has some aspect or home.

WHAT?

This place that I never wanted to come back to I know, and yet I think that Christmas might be okay this year. As much as I can't wait to get home, I think everything will be okay. Certainly being the splitting image of my mother according to many of the people in town, the visitors are the local celebrities, and it's been interesting. Shall see what more trouble I can get into, but Goderich will be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment