Thursday, December 3, 2009

pens.


It's interesting to look back over the decade as the new year inches closer and closer - this the time in many of our lives that we can really remember, especially details, dates, people, events and more that influenced us today. One of the prominent focuses in the fashion side of this decade which has been defined by magazines if the emergence of the skinny jean, which leaves me wondering if ten to twenty years from now we'll be looking back and saying (much like our parents do) "why on earth did I wear that?" But in the context of the time, everything goes.

Another interesting emergence has been the idea of the blog. A dear friend says that she does not always read the text of blogs, but learns and likes to look at the pictures. As the cliche saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words", and its mixture with text can help define and teach a new generation about a variety of issues. There is a bad rep put on many blogs, but I think that if one can search out one that if credible, they are actually playing a part in teaching and helping people understand more about the world around them. I think that's something I really want to do with journalism - if I could have been a nurse and doctor to physically help others, I would have, but was not blessed with any science or math genes. If the written word can help people figure out and understand more, that's the kind of surgery (for the mind shall we say) I would like to perform.

The pictures help too. They are like the details of the surgery, giving a touch to each story. They are also the post-op, helping carry on treatment and further understanding. I've written "understanding" way too many times in this, but that is honestly the best word to describe. I hope you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment