Thursday, April 28, 2016

places.

Oh the places you'll go.

I called my mother early in the morning from the Vancouver airport while waiting to board a 50-person flight to Terrace, B.C.

Since starting dance at the rec centre at the tender age of 4, I've never been very good. Even as I moved up into a studio, competed again dancers across California, performed in more shows and productions than you can shake stick at - I never quite had the "it" factor that some of my peers did.

But I LOVED to dance.

I would literally count down the hours at school until I got to rush to the studio, pull my hair into a bun and high kick my way to high heavens.

I'm so lucky that my parents believed in me and made my dreams come true - it was never in the plan to become a professional dancer (especially after my knee injury at 18), but life has shaken out this way, right now at least.

Calling my mother to tell her I was being flown up to teach and share my dance knowledge with another community was a way bigger prize than any of the trophies I never got at competition. Hearing her react on the other side of the line - her sigh, her breath, her smile - that made all that hard work worth it.

As we are 10 days away from Mother's Day...thank you Mom (and Señor Favro!) for driving me to all those classes, competitions, workshops, helping me with costumes, and sitting in dark theatres on hot sunny days. 

You've made my dreams come true, that I'm now living out. 


This past year, I've been or am going to Los Angeles, New York City, Terrace, B.C., Kelowna, Penticton, and beyond for dance-related work or classes. 

Thank you for everything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment