Friday, April 1, 2016

nature.

Well, hello from Northern B.C.!

I'm up in Terrace, B.C. for a teaching contract over the next couple weeks (never fear, I'm back in Vancouver mid-April and will be teaching and running all my scheduled classes as per normal).

Life is definitely simpler here. I'm thoroughly enjoying not setting an alarm, working with dancers who are hungry for knowledge, and having access to a car to explore this sweet little town.

However, the most essential thing happened - I turned on the radio to the first news story at 4PM being about a wolf warning. Apparently they have a wolf problem with the animals coming a little too close to humans while in town.

I had to pull over the truck and have a good giggle. Then I looked out and checked for wolves.

It's made me start to think - having been a city girl almost all my life (I found Kelowna very, very small when I first moved there...) I wonder about the pros and cons about where we grow up.

I've often thought being a small town might be a great place to have space to run free, explore, be in nature, blah blah blah.

However, I do see the incredible benefit of my parents moving us to semi-large towns with access to a metropolitan area. The amount of history, dance classes, lessons, art, sports, etc. that you just get from being in a more populated area is unparalleled.

Of course, to each their own - and I'm not planning to start a family anytime soon - but it's definitely starting a conversation with myself.

Here we go - Portia vs. Nature, Day 4. I'm still alive, and the cat and dog at the house I'm staying at love to cuddle with me more than the pets I grew up with. Maybe fewer people around them makes their hearts grow founder.

That's all. Have a wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment