Thursday, August 25, 2011

inadvertently.


As I soak up the last few days of B.C. sun, friends and family, I'm finding myself reflecting on what kind of summer this was.

Every year, whether it be determined by calender, seasons, events, etc., I've learned something about myself or my world.

When I first came back to Kelowna this summer, I knew that it would most likely be my last year living at home, full-time, in a family unit. Through we had our struggles as three university siblings, two crazy dogs and parents trying to figure us out, I think we all learned how to be a family...again.

It's not the same family unit that we had during our (gasp) 18 years of living at home all together, but more mature, different and unique in its own way. We've become the family that we're going to be for the rest of our lives as my brothers, parents and I move across the world and country.

The actual home structure may not be here forever, but that's okay.

For my girlfriends and I, this summer changed the dynamic between many of our relationships.

As one of my best friends and I laid out on the beach the other day discussing the usual...fall fashion, men, last weekend, men, wine, school, family and men, I couldn't help but wonder what had changed for all of us this summer.


This is the "stepping stone" summer into the next real chapter of our lives. Taking the time to enjoy each other's company, making time for dates and living in the moment became evident early on in May.

No one is going to remember that night that you got a full night's sleep. We remember the late nights chats and laughs, waking up early and floating down the Penticton channel, eating in funky restaurants and dancing in the park.

One of my best friends also got married this summer. From this, I learned that life really is changing and we're growing up.

It was an amazing experience to be involved in her special day - and I saw that in the end, going with your gut and making individual decisions is hard, but also essential in being true to yourself.

My internship taught me how to go for what you want, and to be aggressive (but not too much). Inadvertently from this, I saw how people treat others around them with rudeness and negativity, and have decided that I don't want them in my life anymore.

Teaching dance in a public forum to 200-300 people every week has been a dream. Who would have thought that I would show up in this town five years ago as a nobody and now be leading them in dance? It's been scary and interesting to have people stop me on the street, asking about dance classes, choreography (I also taught at a few dance studios) and when I'll be teaching next.

From both my internship with the TV station and my Parks and Recreation job, I found that it's okay to have two totally separate passions. At this point, I can work fully in both of them, not feeling like I'm skimping on the other. If one doesn't pan out, I have fine-tuned my skills enough in the other to make things come together.

But out of everything, I have to thank every single person (near and far) for their help, encouragement, dancing, texts and Facebook messages all summer long. You have all built me up, and I hope I can do the same for you.

Out of all these lessons, I hope to take them into the next chapter of the year with them close at heart. For my friends, continuing to learn in keeping our bonds strong. Professionally, making and keeping connections in my field and working together.

For my family, the shower/bathroom my brothers and I share just started to leak and is broken. The five of us will be sharingone bathroom for the rest of the summer.

With these lessons,
this may be our ultimate test,
but we're all up for it.

So long sweet summer, hello another school year, good girlfriends and a city of opportunity. My door is always open whether I'm in Toronto or Kelowna, come visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment