Sunday, August 14, 2011

faculty.


It's been a dreamy week.

I was given the opportunity to work and teach at my old dance studio in Kelowna from when I was in high school. How interesting it was to be on the other side as the faculty of a discipline, sharing my style and knowledge. As they moved across the studio floors, I couldn't help but wonder and reflect on how that was me just a few years ago.

How time has changed.

Contemporary dance is my absolute favourite style to teach and perform...although aesthetically I feel that it has gotten to be elite and untouchable. It's difficult to see dancers who do not understand the training and muscle memory required to look completely out of control (while you are totally in control) and the quirks of the style. I can say from experience that it can be frustrating beyond belief when you can't get it perfect, especially when it's not supposed to be (or at least look it...confused yet?)

However, there is something else. At the end of the day, I don't care for perfection - high legs, fourteen turns, etc. Where is the story in that?

Dance is sign language,
except instead of using your hands,
your entire body communicates.


When I went into my advanced senior class, I only had my music picked out and an idea in my head. As I saw the dancers move, I created our choreography from their own intentions.

Here's what I came up with:


Enjoy and thank you, merci and gracias to all the dancers this week - you inspired me, made my cry with your honesty to the movement and made me believe in contemporary dance as an art again.

No comments:

Post a Comment