Monday, November 9, 2009

half-full.

Monday mornings are always tough - especially when you're feeling sick. That's why Fashion Television being on in the morning always makes me smile. Religiously, I wake up early not to go to class, but to watch my one show during the week (I am out and about too or homeworking, so I miss quite a lot of the prime-time shows).

Today was a re-run, showing some of the Fall 2007 and Spring 2008 shows, and thought I was a wee bit disappointed at first, a segment about luxury came up and caught my attention. Especially now during the economic downturn, people are seemingly not quite as ready to pay more for luxury, such as the private jets that Karl Lagerfeld loves, and designer purses.

I like what (Canadian!) model Irina Lazareanu says is luxury - "Good cheese, good wine and good company". Stella McCarthy believes that sleep is the best, especially being the mother of three children, which I think my mother would agree with as well, having three children under two in diapers.

So can luxury really be simplicity? What is not luxurious about a long strand of pearls or getting your nails done? Perhaps they are a different level of luxury, especially on how one views life. Is your glass half-empty or half-full? With the state of the economy and the holiday season bursting upon the city, having a less extravagant lifestyle is a different level of luxury. Good times, good laughs, and enjoying the people around you with the opportunities available can be very rich in the value of life.

Maybe we should try to live by John Galliano's ideal, "Every morning waking up and seeing the sun shine, that's a luxury." Another day has come, carpe diem and run with the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment