Monday, November 16, 2009

audition.


While most girls lined up outside of H&M for the release of Jimmy Choo’s collection early last Saturday, I was standing in another foot-related line-up downtown. The auditions for season three of So You Think You Can Dance Canada kicked off at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on November 14th, and after many long hours of training and watching the show religiously, I decided to finally give it a shot.

6:30 A.M. – About 350 dancers have come to the Toronto audition, many with half-closed eyes and a lack of caffeine in their system. The line clearly started hours ago. I’ve been training in every style of dance since I could walk, and have performed on stage, and at various competitions. But for the first time I’m not too sure of what to expect, and I feel quite alone.

7:30 A.M – Dying for a coffee, but getting excited after getting my entry bracelet to audition. The line is being filmed for the audition episodes, with dancers running out to jump around in a circle for the camera. You can definitely see who’s here solely to be on television, but then again I just did the robot dance with a group, and it was fun. Dancing helps pass the time.

8 A.M. -Host Leah Miller has come out to film the dramatic “rush into the theatre” shot at registration time. About a dozen dancers have been let in to get warm. Other dancers are now acting friendlier in the line; next to me I have a baby-faced male hip hop dancer and a 30-year-old woman. Instant friends.

10 A.M. – Many dance stories later, the line is crawling up to the door and I make my way through registration and security, I get a number, and am shuffled into the theatre. When all the dancers are in their seats, the television goes on and we all start screaming “we think we can dance!”

10:30 A.M. – The pre-audition starts, (which you don’t get to see on television). The producers of the show and CTV sit onstage, along with choreographer and So You Think You Can Dance US alumni: Blake Mcgrath to watch groups of 14 dancers perform in the space between two parallel lines. Dancers are divided into contemporary or hip hop categories, unless they want a specific genre of dance (i.e. Ukrainian, salsa). Every dancer is given 30 seconds to improvise with their style, and those who show the most personality seem to get picked. After the 14 dancers perform, we get lined up and if your number is called, you’re given the “Golden Ticket” to come back the next day.

11 A.M. – Dancers in line earliest took the stage in the first groups, and everyone else was allowed to watch, or sneak out back to stretch. This process is to help weed out the talent from the weaker dancers, and to also see who’d make good television (i.e. the man wearing the Canadian flag cape actually went through to the second round. Sigh.).

1 P.M. – The morning has flown by, and I’m in awe of the talent. I can definitely feel my body and energy slowing down throughout the day, and just as my group is about to go up, the producers have decided to stop for a break.

1:30 P.M. – I just performed! I went right after a guy who did this Bollywood solo – a difficult act to follow. I didn’t make it to the second round, and was told to walk through the “No” door. But this is the life of dancer: all the anticipation leads up to a few moments to prove yourself and you’re either liked or not.

Also shown on http://mushypony.com. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment