Friday, February 21, 2014

looplife.

If you didn't know...I'm also the social media/communications coordinator with GetintheLoop.ca - we are profiling different team members every few Fridays, and I'm this week!

Here's a bit more about my background and how I'm "in the Loop". You can also check this post (and many others) out on the GITL blog:

Ever wonder who's behind the Get in the Loop Twitter account? Meet our social media coordinator, Portia Favro.

I spent most of my childhood dreaming I would grow up to be a ballerina.
Having danced my entire life, I seriously considered a career in the performing arts. But in May 2008, that plan completely changed.
During a performance I fell coming out of a split leap, and and my legs collapsed underneath me. I can remember my brain telling my body to just move, but my arms and legs felt like lead. I found out later the dance floor was just a mat laid on concrete, and I had a severe knee injury. I couldn’t walk, much less dance.
The world works in funny ways - earlier that spring I had accepted a spot at Ryerson University to pursue a Bachelor of Journalism. With this injury, I put my dancing dreams aside to pursue a career in broadcast.
Lisa LaFlamme Wannabe 
Throughout my degree I was lucky enough to be a part of some major changes in technology and communitications (i.e. the birth of the iPad, using Twitter for breaking news, etc.) and got to cover events like the 2008 US election, Vancouver Winter Olympics, the Egyptian Revolution and the Toronto International Film Festival.
I also started to handle the social media feeds for various on-campus outlets, just as a side gig to be involved in the Ryerson community. I didn't think anything would come of it...I just liked the challenge of getting a message out in 140 characters.
After a few years off, I started to drift back into the dance scene...I started taking a few classes, then training a few days a week and as my strength grew, started auditioning for commercial gigs. I started dancing professionally with several entertainment companies, and performing in bi-monthly cabaret shows with the Army of Sass while finishing my degree (and working at CTV's Canada AM).
One day while working at Canada AM, I found my way into the CTV Olympics office and straight up told the team I wanted to cover the London 2012 Games. I was hired as an intern for the social media team and worked my way up to Co-Leading social for the Olympics and Paralympics. From there, I went on to handle social full-time for various news outlets and clients from various industries.
So how I am I "in the Loop?": Looking for my next adventure, I packed my bags and moved to Vancouver in September 2013. I jumped into entrepreneurship and made a dedication to really work with people who were both able to challenge me and were a compatable match for my skillset.
Last fall, Matt Crowell and I spoke over the phone some social media tips, and a few weeks later he brought me on to handle everything social for Get in the Loop. Every day is different, especially as we expand into new cities and introducing ourselves to their community.
I'm currently based out of Vancouver, and love working with such a forward-thinking team who embraces colleagues and talents from diverse backgrounds. I have the opportunity to be both a student and a teacher, which is very compatable with my dance training mindset - we're always striving to be better and challenge each other.
When I'm not tweeting, I'm a full-fledged dancer, choreographer and teacher in a plethora of styles - if I haven't responded to you on social, I'm most likely in a dance studio or performing.
I'll also be working to bring the Loop Life to Vancouver - if you have a contact you think should Get in the Loop, email me at portia@getintheloop.ca or tweet me (@PortiaFavro)
Get social with Get in the Loop!
Twitter/Instagram: @GetintheLoopca

No comments:

Post a Comment