Wednesday, June 9, 2010

alejandro.


I adore Lady Gaga. I know that her music, fashion sense and videos are all controversial, and the fact that she is commercial despite her avant-garde image and persona fascinates me.

This week, the video for my favourite Gaga song, "Alejandro" was released. As of two days, there are over six million views. There has been so much debate and comments on Youtube, Facebook and Twitter (the same way it was for "Telephone" and "Bad Romance") but I think that there is another way we can look at this video.

A lot of people think that she is copying Madonna in her black and white cinematography and the religious connotations - both similar to the "Vogue" and "Like a Prayer". However, there are other things that her creative team have brought to the platform.

From a dancer and performance aspect, I immediately picked up the references to the movie Cabaretwith the hairstyle and outfits/the dancing on the beds around the four minute mark. The dancing is brilliant in my opinion. So subtle, but clean, sharp, and the simple black costumes (even with the guns bra on Gaga) accentuates the choreography. The dancers and Gaga aren't using smoke and mirrors to distract the audience from the lack of talent, it is there, crisp and raw. I think that the choreography is heavily influenced by Bob Fosse's style, with the flicking wrists, heavy walks and more. Except instead of being "All That Jazz", it's updated.

And what's so wrong with being inspired?

She's inspired by Madonna, who broke so many boundaries for women and identity. Bob Fosse, who changed and modernized the world of dance. Michael Jackson with the mini-film music videos, who burst through the barriers for African American artists.

We might not understand exactly what we're seeing right now, but in 15 years, there'll be something that comes out of this. Artists in the future will be copying her, but in the same way we say no one can replace or ever be as good as Madonna, the same goes for Gaga.

This is my interpretation strictly from a performer's point of view, not getting into the politics of the video, etc. I think "Alejandro" is much more creative than MIA's recent video where she shows an Iraq-esque battlefield and killing/hunting red-haired people like the army would terrorists. That didn't work for me.

I really relate to Lady Gaga in my own way as I have gone into the major arty/ethereal/some-may-think-I'm-weird side of dance and performance, and to see that raw talent and it's place in mainstream entertainment blows my mind.

Here's the video. It's quite out there, but take it for the choreography.

No comments:

Post a Comment