Monday, October 12, 2009

forever.

This is one of my favourite times of year, the changing colours of the leaves, Halloween costumes, my birthday...but also the films that come out for potential Academy Award nominations. I'm hoping to take in Coco Avant Chanel and Precious as well as more, but last week I really needed a film to get my mind off of the hovering midterm and essay writing season, which comes with fall. Therefore, my company and I chose Fame.

I can see that if you are not a performer, you might think that some of the comments and things the the teachers and Debbie Allen say are a bit harsh, especially when we live in a So You Think You Can Dance world (there's nothing wrong with the show, I'm not saying that, especially because I would love to audition in the future!) but the judges do give a lot of praise in these reality shows to performers that are incredible, but do not always show the background of what it takes to get there. During the Vegas week on the American version of SYTYCD, there was a significant increase of reality with how the choreographers taught and were particular about what needed to be done, which is echoed by the original show and movie of Fame in so many ways. It is amazing that even 20 years later, we are still watching shows about performance and getting the reality of it - and Fame leaves it all out of the table for how people are treated in the performing arts, which can be hard to watch.
I have to say, the dancing by Kherington Payne of SYTYCD US season five was awesome, as well as the actors who also sang and played musical accompaniment. Leaving the theatre, I wanted nothing more than to go to dance class (which I have tonight, yippee!) and perform. If you like the stage and performing arts and want the real show, this is the real deal in the fictional realm if that makes any sense.

I definitely agree with Debbie Aleen as she talks about the aspect of "fame" in the movie, which was taken from the earlier versions, in which do people nowadays want to perform because of their passion for the arts, or to become popular/famous? That is the question that is more relevant then ever today with all the reality shows and 15-minutes-of-fame people everywhere in the news and tabloids. Perhaps fame is everlasting, if you can earn it like Allen says.

No comments:

Post a Comment