Saturday, August 22, 2015

amy.

Yesterday afternoon was fairly ordinary. I'd finished work and soaking in the sun, ready for the weekend.

My friend called me and asked if I wanted to head to see a matinee movie. Without second thought, I suggested seeing "Amy", the documentary about Amy Winehouse.

I've always been a big fan of her music, and if it's possible, I'm even more engulfed by Winehouse's sound, lyrics and story after the film. I loved the documentary truly focused on her artistry and wasn't afraid to go into the dark side of her life.

From working on documentaries and other news stories, it's always an interesting moment when you get into those interviews with profound characters in your story. More often than not, you'll have fairly average experience chatting with them.

But every once in awhile, you'll find a nugget that changes the entire direction of what you thought you were making.

Something else interesting that came up for me...Amy's look.

I remember my mother purchasing her first album, "Frank" and also "Back to Black" - we used to listen to them both on our drives to school, dance class, etc. My father also got Rolling Stone magazine, and I remember those couple of covers Amy graced.

As I look back at the timeline of my personal style, and why I'm drawn to a retro look, I think it started with her. I can see in photos that I started playing with flowers in my hair, experimenting with cat eyes, pin-up clothing and what not. I abandoned it for a couple years when I went to university, but now and back with full vengeance.

I used to think Bettie Page was my biggest influence, but I'm realizing this runs much deeper. The things were are drawn to early in life are certainly a calling - I always loved old jazz music and a vintage look/vibe. I think Amy really modernized and brought that to the forefront for my generation.

I'll likely never have enough hair for a beehive like hers, but you never know.

Just a thought. Have a good weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment