Saturday, March 28, 2015

estatic

Have you heard of estatic dance?

My friend took me to a class a few weeks ago...it's all about free movement, taking up space and just being present. There were people of all ages, bodies and dancing abilities.

My friend and I (both 20-something female professional dancers) entered the space and I instantly found my breath caught in my though. My muscles tensed up. My heart beat faster.

I was so scared. This was not my home studio. My home space. My sanctuary.

My friend turned to me and said, "See you in two hours" -we're not allowed to talk during this time.

I hestitated, watchingmenand women of all ages move around the room, make noise and dance their hearts out. I knew how to do this on stage...but with no rules, I suddenly felt paralyzed. I hung out on the sides of the room for most of the "practice".

Week Two.

Something clicked. Maybe it was familiar faces, knowing the space or just where I was that weekend, but this session was fun. No, more than fun. Interesting. Breathtaking. Full of play. Cute eye candy doesn't hurt.

Like most things in life, I realized I needed to see things twice before going forth and truly feeling comfortable. At first, I was mad at myself for not just "giving in" when I had the chance. Now, I'm over it. I know my process, understand it, and go for it.



It works for a reason.

Tomorrow is day three in this dancing realm. Stay tuned.

To find out more about Dance Divine, which fasciliates these sessions, check out their Facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment