Thursday, July 2, 2009

hometown.


I wrote this back in December, but it somewhat applies now as I am home for the summer and trying to decide which direction I want to go in. Hmm...

Is it possible to have more than one hometown? You know that saying "home is where the heart is" ? If that was true, than my heart would be pulled around the world to everyone. But what defines home?

Is California home? I miss my old life completely - dance, the weather, and not going to lie, but the shopping as well. I went back and it felt exactly the same. When Allie and I talked for hours about life and such, it was like I had only been in school the day before with her. At junior prom it was like I had never left. My heart is stuck with all of these people.

Is Kelowna home? I'm really lucky this is where I landed. How did I know that I would be in the right place at the right time for so much of what happened to me? Dance opportunities arrived, I decided out of the blue to become a swimmer, and I found a group of people who are amazing and teach me so much about life and the person that I want to be. Can Kelowna be home too then? I've left pieces of my heart with everyone here too.

Can Toronto be home? Interestingly enough, I was born here, but is it really my hometown? Going through my world, I have found people who I would have never met from both of the Canadian coasts and also from around the world. I also found people from both of my old hometown areas that I didn't even know before - what would the chances be that I would crash into them in this city?

Maybe I'm over analyzing everything. I've been listening to Adele and getting really excited to come home (Kelowna home) :), but I know that I'm oddly going to miss the accessibility and opportunity I have here. That feels so weird to write. I think with this song, I see each of my own hometowns within it. The people I have met and connected with in each one is characterized so perfectly within. You are all the wonders of my world.

Hometown Glory.

I've been walking
In the same way as I did
Missing out
The cracks in the pavement
And tutting my heel
And strutting my feet
"Is there anything
I can do for you dear?
Is there anyone I can call?"
"No and thank you, please Madam
I ain't lost, just wandering"

Round my hometown
Memories are fresh
Round my hometown
Ooh, the people I've met

Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of my world
Are the wonders of this world
Are the wonders of my world

I like it in the city
When the air
Is so thick and opaque
I love to see everybody
In short skirts
Shorts and shades
I like it in the city
When two worlds collide
You get the people
And the government
Everybody taking
Different sides

Shows that
We ain't gonna stand shit
Shows
That we are united
Shows
That we ain't gonna take it
Shows
That we ain't gonna stand shit
Shows that we are united

Round my hometown
Memories are fresh
Round my hometown
Ooh the people I've met

Are the wonders of my world

(PS - Picture taken by Hayley Sherman)

No comments:

Post a Comment