Thursday, May 16, 2013

penny.

Talk about a throwback Thursday - it's been 10 years since Britney Spears and Madonna teamed up in the "Me Against the Music" video.

I was dancing competitively as a jazz and tap student at the time, and remember one of girls, Penny, had just left the studio to pursue a professional career in dance.

To me, she had made it. Penny landed a backup dancer position in the video, "Me Against The Music". You can see Penny at the 1 minute and 40 second mark, when Britney and Madonna are dancing opposite each other through a wall - Penny is just off of Britney's right shoulder.

For me, this was my first brush at the professional world of dance - when someone you know makes it, it completely changes your perspective. I remember thinking that maybe one day, I could dance for Britney Spears.

Now, I may not be dancing for Britney Spears (but would in a heartbeat if she decided to revisit The Oynx Hotel Tour circa 2003), but I'm still performing professionally at various events, shows and across the city.

As I've written before, I'm now finding a niche and passion for instruction and choreography. Seeing may students emerge as performers after 13 weeks of serious training has made me feel that maybe, just maybe, I might be making it in my own way. P

I never thought that "Me Against The Music" would be a milestone for me - but it has reminded me just how many things can change, how my movement has changed and ultimately how my perspective has changed. Sometimes fulfilling your passion does not always mean being in front of the camera. Sometimes it's building up those who will be.

And I'm more than okay with that.





No comments:

Post a Comment