Sunday, May 19, 2013

luhrmann.

I fell head over sparkly high heels into Baz Luhrmann's world over 10 years ago.

After seeing Mouling Rouge!, I didn't become just a fan, it became my obsession. I played the moview soundtrack over and over on my mint green boom box, choreographed routines in my living room to "Roxanne" and dreamed of seeing the famous cabaret in Paris one day.

Needless to say, I'm a Luhrmann fan through and through. I still remember feeling something different when I watched Moulin Rouge! It was as though someone had untapped the most creative things out our imaginations (and with awesome music) translated it onto the big screen.

It's truly been a decade since I've felt that same magic while in a movie theatre. With high expectations, I am pleased to report how much I adored Luhrmann's latest project, The Great Gatsby. 

Having recently reread the epic story (I had studied it in high school but didn't understand a majority of it), I had a fresh memory and knew exactly what was going to happen in the movie.

Is it perfect? Of course not, no movie is. However, the casting is impeccable, the scenery matched what I had imagined, and Lana Del Rey's song "Young and Beautiful" hauntingly hangs onto you after the film is long over.



The film itself is complete eye candy, with each frame somehow becoming more beautiful than the next. Leonardo DiCaprio is perfect as the mysterious Jay Gatsby, and as a friend and I discussed, it's refreshing to see him in a slightly more quirky/comedic role than what we're used to seeing him do.

All in all, absolutely my favourite movie of the year (so far). Give yourself a treat and head to the cinema to see this on the big screen - it's worth every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment